Tuesday, October 27, 2009

If You Come to Russia

Hopefully this blog has been shedding some light on the experience for students who will study in Russia in the future, and I thought that while the ideas were fresh in my mind, I would post a short list of items that would be good to bring.

A BATTERY POWERED CLOCK

I decided that I would just buy a watch in Russia, but the diamond studded, Jay-Z blingin', one I thought I could find really cheap in Russia turned out to cost just as much if not more than it would in Canada. As of right now I am relying on an alarm system that involves drinking various amounts of water before bed in order to wake up at the appropriate time. I have it down to an almost exact scienct though, I can usually wake up within 30 minutes of when I want to.

A CELL PHONE

Coming to Russia seems like a great opportunity to break from the technological chains that bind us, but not having a cell phone is also a huge hindrance to hanging out. Most of the english people you meet are like, "Hey I'll call you up sometime" and then I usually say "Well... probably not, maybe I'll see you again if fate smiles upon us." Without a cell phone, hang-outs, organizing outings, and finding out what to do when you get lost are mostly in the hands of fate. Fate has been kind though, and we haven't had any huge problems yet, but things would be much easier with a cell phone--even if just one member of the group brings one.

SPARE CONTACT LENSES

This one doesn't so much apply to me as it does my friend Brenno. He got to Russia and was like, ah SHEESTERS I FORGOTZ MUH CONTAXTZ (if you know Brennon you also recognize that this is almost an exact quote). Contact solution and supplies are available here but they're quite difficult to find and purchase. It's best to just be prepared.

A RUSSIAN POCKET PHRASEBOOK

Can come in really handy if you have to say something to someone who speaks almost no english or if the police ask to see your passport (as happened to me once, luckily I had it!). Even "pocket dictionaries" are too much of a hassle to carry and a book that can fit easily and comfortably in a pocket is probably the best bet. Also an invaluable tool for learning the language.

FEWER DRESS PANTS

The information you are given from the college says no T-shirts and jeans for class, but everyone just wears jeans and a sweater. Don't let your mom over-hype the importance of dressing like a diplomat.

SOLID RAIN GEAR

It's rained every day for what seems like weeks. My extreme summer tan has faded and now I look like a black and white photo that has had the colour digitally reversed. If only my hero W.E.B. Du Bois saw me now, he'd be ashamed. Probably not though. The point though--bring a warm, waterproof jacket!

A READING LIGHT

I enjoy the warm ambiance of reading a book with minimal lighting, but it does hurt the eyes after a while. A lamp is too big to bring, and too expensive to buy so I'd recommend bringing a small flashlight or headlamp that you can read easily with. It's starting to get dark here at about 6:00pm and days are only going to get shorter.

AN EXTERNAL HARD-DRIVE

The way that the internet works in Russia makes it great for adding to electronic collections of movies, CD's, and television programs. I ran out of space on my computer after two weeks. Now I'm left thinking what could have been. Don't leave home without one!

That's it for this post. Later.

1 comment:

  1. Ahahaha! Brilliant post, Kevin!

    You know, if you could make a chart detailing the amount of water and the subsequent number of sleeping-hours, I think that would make for a huge hit in Russiablogdom . . .

    ReplyDelete