Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dr. Zhivago Calling...

When my Dad needed to get through to my Mom at the community health office he would always say that it was Dr. Zhivago calling. In our literature class, we had to read lengthy novels while our teacher was away getting married, and I was fortunate enough to get to read this novel. The last 3 days I've spent a good amount of time reading and I thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes.

"Man is born to live, not to prepare for life. Life itself, the phenomenon of life, the gift of life is so breath-takingly serious" (Zhivago 297).

"Reshaping life! People who can say that have never understood a thing about life--they have never felt its breath, its heartbeat--however much they have seen or done. They look on it as a lump of raw material that needs to be processed by them, to be ennobled by their touch" (Zhivago 338.)

This was said by ultra-babe Lara Feodorovna Guishar, and I think it proves her ultra-babeness:

"I don't like people who have never fallen or stumbled. Their virtue is lifeless and of little value. Life hasn't revealed its beauty to them" (Zhivago 399).

In a one sentence run through of what's going on today I played volleyball again in the morning, ate some Blini with a few Russians, and am now going to a Russian battle of the bands. It's been a good day.

That's it for now though...

No comments:

Post a Comment