Monday, November 2, 2009

Virtual Dorm Tour

After getting my daily dose of destruction, I decided to take a few pictures of the dorm to give a sense of what an average day is like. You may want to duct tape your eyes open, you won't want to miss a second.

Waking up:

This is where I spend roughly 1/3rd of my time. Note the orange MEC sleeping bag that I took along for warmth. It has definately been one of the top 4 things that I decided to bring to Russia. You might be wondering what the little black thing is in the wall behind the pillow--it's not any kind of European technology or decorative element. There was a hole there when I entered the room, and after about 2 nights I found out that a draft was coming in through that hole and annoying me while I tried to read. The black thing in the wall that looks like a tiny tree is actually my sleeping bag sack stuffed into the wall to keep the draft out. Another reason I'm glad I took my sleeping bag.



Room Decoration:


I've never been the guy whose wall is plastered with pictures and cool pics of people snowboarding or otherwise looking cool. Right now I've got all of the essentials: family Christmas photo, picture of a bust of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and the newest addition, postcard of Rembrandt's Return of the Prodigal Son. I also have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles banner placed on the top shelf of my desk. It's a huge inspiration to continue blogging.



The Hall:

A bit cryptic but you get used to it.



My Food:

I posted a picture of the kitchen in one of the earliest blog entries so I won't do so again. Here is a sampling of the food I eat--about 50% is Chooda brand yogurt. I might try to get Chooda to sponsor this blog so if you start seeing Chooda ads consider it a victory: it means free yogurt.




Justin Hard at Work:

Justin getting it done. His room has this amazing carpet/cactus plant combo that leaves the rest of us jealous. He also has an amazing original work of art depicting Santa* that he got at an antiques store.




Here is another look at his Santa picture, a genuine oil on canvas. I hope it makes it through customs.



The view going outside:

Self explanatory.



выход:

Exit. I also tried to give the photo a spooky Halloween feel. Here in Russia I saw only 3 or 4 people dressed up, and one guy was legitimately scary. That's not what Halloween is about is it? I'll stick to my principles, to me, Halloween represents love, my love for uniquely shaped chocolate and profits for candy companies that is.



Ping-Pong:

This is where the magic happens. Unfortunately one of my good friends and fiercest opponents Pavel decided school wasn't for him and is now heading back to his home in Siberia. He said he wanted to visit Canada some day so who knows, maybe I'll see him again one day.




The Gym:

The gym at school consists of a bench press table and a decline bench. I can pretty much lift so much--all photos are originals and have not had additional weight photoshopped in.





Our Classroom:

LURN MEH PLEEZ. LOLCATS RUEN MY
ENGLUSH.



The Library:

The library at the school is one of my favourite places. It has a comfortable reading room, a large computer lab, and an atmosphere filled with possibility.










Unfortunately it also made this student go mad from stress.



Back to the dorm:

This is the walk between the school and the dorm.



That took longer than I expected. Time to eat some more yogurt.

































No comments:

Post a Comment