Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tales of the Metro - II

I had another strange experience on the Metro today. Todays experience was a bit more scary than funny, but it might be funny when I think about it in 2 years.

I got up late today and after about a 15 minute battle with my conscious, I decided that I would go to church instead of sleeping in. I got up, ate, showered, and then headed out to the Metro.

I've only taken the Metro by myself about 4 or 5 times so it was a little different than normal. Things went without incident during the first half of the trip. I sat as usual on the Metro and contemplated the short amount of time that remains for us in Russia. The train stopped at Technologisky Institute and I changed lines and began on my way to the Nevsky Prospect station.

I sat down in an open seat and thought I would have an unusual amount of room in the unusually deserted Metro. This wasn't the case though, as a regular enough looking guy asked if he could sit next to me (or so I assume) and I slid over to make room for him.

At this point in the story there are so many ways that this can go. Try to imagine an ending right now--you probably won't be right.

The ride went without incident until the train was just beginning to slow down at my stop. At this point some Russian dudes about my age walked up in front of me and started talking to the person across from me, and a few seconds later, they turned and began talking to the young man who had sat next to me.

I assumed that they were friends as they leaned in close to the person beside me and looked about the same age. I really wish I knew more of what they were saying so I could understand what happened next--it caught me completely off guard.

I had just begun to raise myself from my seat when the young man leaning in talking to the person next to me lifted himself up on the overhead rail used to brace yourself and delivered a powerful double footed kick into the lap of the young man next to me.

I wasn't sure if I should try to get between these two or what would happen next. There was no angry build-up or shouting before it happened. I blocked myself with my hands and pushed the attackers legs to the floor but after that I began walking for the now open doors to my stop. At this time the whole metro car's attention was firmly fixed on these two men and an old women was shouting at the men. As I exited the train, aside from an awkward half-backward spin kick made by the attackers friend, there were no additional punches or kicks thrown, and the situation seemed to have calmed. I left the train and wished like never before that I could understand more Russian.

The strangest thing about the whole incident was how regular looking the double-footed kick guy was. He had a short looking hair-cut, a nice jacket that reminded me of something we sold at MEC (the location of my summer employment), and didn't appear to be drunk, sketchy, or a fan of metal.

The only thing I can think of was that these guys knew each other from before, and one guy was messing with the other's girlfriend.

On the way home, I stood on the metro and kept on close lookout for double-footed power stomps. I'm not sure if I'll ever see one again, but now I'll be ready.

Here's a funny thing that was said at church: after quoting the famous quip that, "The only two things you can be sure of in life are death and taxes," he added, "maybe in this country you can't be quite so sure of taxes." I thought that was funny.

3 comments:

  1. lenins tomb?? ilook like lennin and live in northern canada. maybe lenin didnt die. the metro has relatives here too xpuctoc pozdauitsa actually arent all metros alike more vodka

    ReplyDelete