Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Trip that Took Longer than Expected

At about 3:00pm today Brennon came into my room and announced that he and Bergy were going to go to the Nike outlet store and see the Smolny Cathedral on the way. Though I have a language test tomorrow and a blog that needed updating, I knew that I couldn't miss the Smolny Cathedral.

I didn't get home until 12:30am. Moral of the story: short outings are never short.

It was worth it though. Here is a picture of Smolny Cathedral that I pulled off google images:


(I can't figure out how to resize it because I suck at the internet)

After visiting this amazing Church, Brennon and I went with our American friend studying theatre to see a tiny production of King Lear that literally took place inside the wall of Peter and Paul Fortress.

This was no ordinary King Lear--it was actually called Lear without Lear because the role of King Lear was played by a chorus of all the actors not on stage at that time. It was definitely not a classical portrayal--there was sand everywhere, about 20-30 apples were smashed, and a very nicely constructed paper castle was burned to begin the play. The whole thing was also in Russian, and having not read King Lear, I only had a tiny idea of what was occurring in the chaotic apple-and-sand flurry. There was a lot of destruction though and I can respect that in almost any artistic medium.

After the play we stood in line for like 40 minutes to get cheeseburgers at McDonald's. The perfect way to end a really cool night.

No comments:

Post a Comment