Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tales of the Metro - I

I thought I'd share a funny story that happened while I was riding on the Metro. I haven't posted anything that great in a while, so this will continue with that tradition.

I read this other guys blog that I thought would be cool because it was called "guy with a beard" but it was mostly just him writing boring emotional stuff about how black ties make him existential. I don't think the internet needs more of that, but then again, what does the internet need more of? Probably more people contributing to Wikipedia articles, but I digress.

The Story

Our English group of students boarded the Metro on Sunday morning in order to attend a Church on the opposite side of the city. The morning was quiet on the Metro: there were a few people moving around, a couple babushkas with shawls on travelling to their churches, and the odd person with a shopping bag but all things considered it seemed like it would be a laid back visit to a new and exciting Metro station.

Then while I was looking at a map, the guy standing beside me spoke to me in Russian to ask for directions and the confusion began mounting. This obviously intoxicated individual followed up his introductory question by asking, "Do you speak French (en Francai)?" and "Do you speak English." When I told the guy I spoke english he was pretty excited about it, and he shook my hand with the enthusiasm I would probably reserve for a guy with a huge beard. After this I didn't really understand anything he said until he said quite perfectly, "I love Patrick Swayze." We talked about Patrick Swayze for a while and then he wanted his friend to take our picture, but his more reserved sober friend was obviously much too embarressed by the whole episode to indulge his request. It was a pretty funny experience.

Upon returning to the school later that day, I discovered that Patrick Swayze had passed away earlier in the week. Suddenly it all made sense.

Time to return to editing Wikipedia articles though, I hope that story was enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment