Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cultural Differences

Hey again,

I don't have any exciting new photos and in similar sad news I also shaved yesterday. It was needed though, I was starting to look like this guy:



That brings me to the maximum amount of Home Improvement jokes allowed in a single blog (a little known law in Russia) and brings me to the main topic of this blog: the cultural differences I have observed living in Russia for only a short time.

One of the most obvious things involves vehicles and sidewalks. In Canada, much of the infrastructure is set up to prioritize road and vehicle transport--in Russia it's a bit different. There is a decent road infrastructure set up, but the city's age and development prioritize walking paths much more than is done in Canada. What this all means is that it isn't uncommon to be walking down a sidewalk and hear the beep of a vehicle horn sounding behind you as it drives down the sidewalk. It doesn't happen every time you go out, but it does happen.

Another thing that is quite different is the attitude towards alcohol. In Russia one can buy beer, wine, and vodka at almost every grocery store or get a beer with their McDonalds combo. It is also not uncommon to see people nursing beers at all times of the day in the most uncommon of places. Outside of the grocery store in the evening, riding the Metro just after mid-day, or hanging out at the park in the morning.

That's about all for right now. There are also some differences that make me think about the way I live in Canada, but I thought that since I started with a Home Improvement joke I'll leave the serious stuff out for now.

See ya!



(Ending with another Home Improvement pic to increase my street cred after a HILLS* comment slipped out last blog)



* The only show for me is Home Improvement

No comments:

Post a Comment