Monday, September 28, 2009

Peterhof Trip / Church of the Spilt Blood

This past Saturday for art class, our group had the opportunity to visit the palace constructed by Peter the Great. The palace is constructed on a natural terrace, with the many trees, fountains, and sculptures of the front lawn hardly able to compare with larger, lower, and more scenic back lawn.

Here is a photo that shows the many fountains of the lower garden.




Here is an image of the rear garden from another angle:



Directly out from these fountains is a canal that leads into the Baltic Sea.



This visit was unquestionably the most beautiful palace we have seen so far. The pictures can not do justice to the sounds and scenery that so much flowing water creates. The palace also provides a glimpse into the excesses of Russian ruling classes. While many of the poor lived on only the most necessary of essentials, the Monarch was able to construct a palace with an almost unlimited budget. I appreciated the trip not merely for the beautiful fountains, lawns, and rooms within the palace, but also because it made me appreciate the fact that money and power can not buy happiness. This tired saying that sounds like something your mom says when you tell her you bought lottery tickets was really evident when I asked myself: "Would living here everyday make me permanently happy?" I think I'd much prefer hanging out in Tim Hortons with my friends or eating taco salad with the loving family I've been blessed with.

But before I border on sounding like I have feelings I'd like to switch gears--on Sunday most of our group also visited the Church of the Spilt Blood in St. Petersburg. You may recognize this post-card friendly landmark from the banner on the top of my site. The inside is covered with beautiful mosaics of Orthodox church saints and biblical scenes, with a floor and walls of exquisite marble.

If you are wondering what is up with the metal band-esque name of the church, it was built on the site where tsar Alexander II was killed by terrorists during a time of political ferment in the
late 19th century.



Here is the interior:



(The pictures presented are not mine however, they belong to google.)

That is all for this post, I have to start preparing a multimedia presentation for a freshman celebration that starts on October 9. I hope to include a lot of hockey, Tim Horton, and lumberjack photos in it.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brother,
    The 2nd hand I Pod that you gave me for my birthday was, in fact, dead. Zero battery life remaining. I found this out at the apple store after the cord that I bought the day before did nothing for it. (I was able to return it easily...thankfully). I look forward to better gifts in the future.
    Sincerely,
    A member of the family you are blessed to have.

    ReplyDelete